- Provides the basic facts about the world's major families of spoken languages and their distribution around the globe
- Relates to some of the big social issues facing the world today, such as bio-diversity and the endangerment of species and cultures
- Looks at the reasons behind why languages are declining, and why this really matters
- Raises the question about how we identify a language, and considers how we differentiate a 'language' from a 'dialect'
- Looks at signed languages and considers the similarities and differences to spoken language
- Part of the bestselling Very Short Introductions series - over five million copies sold worldwide
Languages: A Very Short Introduction